Death toll from floods in china’s Henan rises to 302 August 2-Reuters-Last month the death toll from floods in central China’s Henan province rose to 302 as of Monday. Zhengzhou, the capital.
In Zhengzhou, a city of 12 million people on the banks of the Yellow River, 292 people were killed, 14 of them in subway floods. 39 people died underground in garages and tunnels in Zhengzhou.
Death toll from floods in china’s Henan rises to 302 In the last three days, Zhengzhou received 617.1 mm (24.3 inches) of rain, averaging 640.8 mm per year, causing extensive damage and unrest in the city’s major transportation and industrial centers.
Of the 50 people still missing in Henan, 47 are residents of Zhengzhou, local officials said in a briefing on Monday.
The direct economic loss in Henan Province was 114.27 billion yuan ($ 18 billion), affecting more than 580,000 hectares of agricultural land.
The State Council of the People’s Republic of China has said it will form a team to investigate the disaster in Zhengzhou and hold the authorities accountable if it is proved that it has abdicated its responsibilities.