UFC 272: Covington vs Masvidal in Galaxy today at 6 p.m. Watch UFC 272 live PPV stream Covington vs. Masvidal Online Here’s How & Where? It’s been a crazy week in the MMA world and the best is still to come. Tonight, Colby Covington and Jorge Masvidal finally settle their feud in the main event of UFC 272. We’ve got a lot to cover so let’s not waste any time.
UFC 272 info
Date: March 5
Location: T-Mobile Arena — Las Vegas
Start time: 10 p.m. ET (Main card) | Prelims: 8 p.m. ET
How to watch: ESPN+ PPV | Net2TV
A big PPV clash is set to be the title of the latest UFC event on Saturday night. And there’s no need for a title in this matchup line to draw people as Welterweight Colby Covington and George Masvidal from the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas to settle scores in their hotly contested UFC 272.
In his last three, Covington lost to the current divisional king, Kamaru Usman, by two points, but he was clearly the opponent of giving Usman the most trouble during his reign. He rose to the rank of interim champion in a seven-fight winning streak where he dominated the likes of Damien Maia, Rafael dos Anjos and Robbie Lawler. Masvidal, meanwhile, is also pulling off a losing streak to Usman, the most recent being a devastating knockout. An incredible run in 2019 has been put on hold due to a pair of losses where “Gamebred” has won three stops against Darren Till, Ben Ascran and Nate Diaz.
In a perfect world, this Saturday will see Alexander Volkanovsky and Max Holloway dance for the third time, and Aljamin Sterling and Petr Ian will finally have a chance to prove who the real Bantamweight King is after the bizarre end of their first fight. However, Volkanovsky was replaced by “The Korean Zombie” Chan Sung Jung at UFC 273 due to a Holocaust injury, and Sterling and Yan were scheduled to attend the same event.
So we have a weird little blood feud between Colby Covington and Jorge Masvidal as UFC 272 headliners and you know what? That’s great!
Covington – No. 2 welterweight in MMA Fighting’s Global Rankings – may never be an A-tier draw, but he and Masvidal (No. 11) are now part of a rare non-championship pay-per-view main event, a rarity by Connor McGregor. In the modern UFC for someone not known by name. Based on how widely PPV has been promoted (especially compared to UFC 270 and UFC 271), it is safe to say that officials have a lot of faith in this angry match to sell a card from themselves.
Out of all the discussion, this is a matchup between a man who would probably be the undisputed champion if not for Kamaru Usman and a cult favorite who once rose to the level of stardom was believed to be out of his reach. There’s a lot going on in the line for both because Covington will have to hold on to his top spot, while the loss for Masvidal could leave him unscathed with a shiny new deal. The build is ugly, and the fight should be, but in the best way possible.
In other key card actions, former UFC champion Rafael dos Anjos takes a short-notice replacement Renato Moicano, with veteran Edson Barboja fighting down to Bryce Mitchell, Kevin Holland. Sergei Spivak meets Greg Hardy at Heavyweight.
UFC 272 fight card, odds
- Colby Covington -330 vs. Jorge Masvidal +260, welterweights
- Rafael dos Anjos -180 vs. Renato Moicano +155, 160-pound catchweights
- Bryce Mitchell -155 vs. Edson Barboza +130, featherweights
- Kevin Holland -340 vs. Alex Oliveira +270, welterweights
- Serghei Spivac -195 vs. Greg Hardy +165, heavyweights
- Marina Rodriguez -270 vs. Yan Xiaonan +220, women’s strawweights
- Mariya Agapova -180 vs. Maryna Moroz +155, women’s flyweights
- Jalin Turner -155 vs. Jamie Mullarkey +130, lightweights
- Kennedy Nzechukwu -140 vs. Nicolae Negumereanu +120, light heavyweights
- Tagir Ulanbekov -230 vs. Tim Elliott +190, flyweights
- Umar Nurmagomedov -800 vs. Brian Kelleher +550, bantamweights
- Devonte Smith -150 vs. L’udovit Klein +125, lightweights
- Dustin Jacoby -200 vs. Michal Oleksiejczuk +170, light heavyweights